Friday, April 12, 2013

If You Give a Pregnant Woman Preserves...

She's going to want homemade popovers and butter to go with them.

It is springtime in Paris. I know this not because its springtime everywhere in the northern hemisphere but because several of my less considerate Facebook friends are gallivanting there right now. The Eiffel Tower is nice, the Champs Elysees is very pretty, but the bakeries gave new meaning to my life. Flaky croissants, bite sized pies filled with tart custards, warm bread with fresh jam and butter. Suddenly, in the middle of my reminiscing, I had a realization. "Wait... I have fresh jam. (this is how the it always starts) I have fresh jam!" All I'd have to do is make scones, or popovers, or some French Bread! *Sift, whisk, stir stir stir*. The trouble is popovers take 25 minutes to bake.... and store bought butter really just won't do when everything else is so fresh. *begins churning*. So here I sit, gloating. They may be in Paris, but I'm here in sunny Southern Alabama with a napping toddler and my feet up on an overstuffed micro suede couch, smothering my ugly (but otherwise perfect) popovers in butter and strawberry apple jam. Bon vivant.

And if you'd like to make some of these tasties: Jam, Popovers

No comments:

Post a Comment